Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Maverik Station....


I don't know what it is about the Maverik Station, but I keep going back time and time again.  Maybe its the service?  Could be the coffee.  It might be all of the weird shit that happens to me there. 

Take today for instance.  Traditionally, Sunday's are weird for me.  Because of my work schedule, I don't get a lot of sleep on Saturday night so it's pretty important that I get properly caffeinated on my way back in to the office. 

Anyhow, I walk through the door this morning and I walk pass 2 women having a conversation near the hot chocolate machine.  I hear one woman ask, "So where about are you from in Colorado?"  The other woman says, "I'm from a little town named Meeker but my husband and I currently live in Pagosa Springs."  The first woman chimes in, "Oh, its so beautiful there.  One day I plan on touring all of Zion National Park." 

I kind of cocked my head like a dog does when he hears a high pitched noise, and I reeled around to get a look at these women.  Much to my delight, the woman from Colorado had the same look on her face.  Her brow was slightly furrowed, eyes squinting, and her head was tilted just enough that sip of coffee she just had partially ran out of one corner of her mouth.

It didn't stop there.  Before the Colorado woman could correct the other lady, the other lady said "I hear that Bryce Canyon is beautiful as well."  I turned and faced both women.  I had to listen to the rest of this conversation, but I couldn't do it where I was standing.  I'm sure I had a look on my face that screamed, "I lick car windows."  I stepped to the side and moved around the two ladies.  The Colorado woman says, "I think you are naming landmarks in Utah.  I am from Colorado."  Now the first woman has "the look".  Her brow, slightly furrowed.  Her eyes are squinting like she is staring at the sun, and the left corner of her mouth is drawn slightly up towards her nose. 

"What?" she asked.  At this point, I shot a sip of hot java through my nose and quickly reached for a couple of napkins.  Now both of these women are staring at each other.  It was perfect.  Neither knew what the fuck the other was talking about. 

When the Colorado woman broke the stare down by saying, "Anyhow....", I cracked up.  The store clerk asked me "Are you all right?''  I nodded and said that I would be in just a minute.  The first ladies husband walks past me near the front door and says, "what are you doing?".  She explained that she "just met this nice woman from Colorado" and  "they were having a nice conversation about Zion National Park".  He said, "Zion?  Zion is in Utah" and the woman got that face again.  I lost it....

Maybe it wasn't that funny, but I had never in my life been more lost in a store than I was in the Maverik station that I go to every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment